Sunday, June 25, 2006

Made it home pretty late last night but couldn't help waking up at 0600hrs. The weather was way too good to be sleeping. Nike popped in from Pune at around 1030hrs. He didn't believe me when I said we were headed to Gorai beach. He intended to enjoy his customary hot-water bath, breakfast from Laxmi and also get some much-needed rest. I think he managed to grab a quick bite before we rode off to make it to the proposed rendezvous with TV and Suds, somewhere near SEEPZ.

Noon worked out to be the ideal time to be riding to Gorai beach. Its better known as the route to Esselworld, but we weren't even headed there. It was sunny through most of the ride and we were soon at the Ferry Boarding point at Gorai, after our brief stopover for Lassi. Its corny that the ferry halt for an amusement park is next to a massive garbage mound. In fact, this was a garbage hill, and crows and vultures hovered above. The Ferry here was much smaller than the one at Manori, with space for about 8 two-wheelers. I got my baby in, and somehow managed to keep her balanced through the short ride across the creek, cause there was no place to put her on the main-stand.

Once on the other side, Gorai isle was a different place. Most of the crowd diverted itself to the amusement park, and we guys let our engines roar on the empty road ahead. It was hard to believe that the place had a Mumbai pincode - it was devoid of the noise, pollution and traffic of the metropolis. Gorai Village was unspoilt and beautiful. TV led the way to the splendid beach and that's where most of the humanity on the island re-emerged. It was Sunday and groups of people spread across the vast expanse of the uncluttered beach.

I did a couple of things. I shunned everything until I was only in my cargoes, and then rode my baby through the waves. It was brilliant fun. Nike too, took turns and had by now stopped cribbing about being tired. Then there was the Beach shanty's chilled beer, fried chicken masala and egg bhurji to relish on.

We spent a good part of the afternoon lazing at the shanty. The sky remained overcast and the winds were strong. All of us eventually took to the water. I now know that cargoes are the last thing to be worn on a tempting beach. One dip in the water and I had sand in every inaccessible corner of my eight-pocket.

We decided to leave only when it began to get darker. It didn't make sense to go home, except that someone remembered that it was Monday tomorrow. I dried myself on the ride back. The Lady slipped on the algae-covered jetty when I least expected it. I think it'll be a major accomplishment once I've learnt to keep her from falling.

Although Nike had started the day complaining, he hadn't finished having his fun yet. It started to pour and he suggested visiting Inorbit in Malad, ostensibly to buy floaters for himself. We explored the shops at a modest 2055hrs, leaving a slug trail everywhere we went - courtesy Gorai beach. But most fun was the Liberty Revolutions store. The attendants helped us take our shoes off to try on the floaters, and there was sand all over the place. After a lot of fussing over the footwear, Nike decided against buying anything, while I made a purchase. The best thing about the whole thing - I can now enjoy the rain-rides even more, with cold water droplets splashing on my feet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home